Recently Microsoft released SharePoint 2010(May 12). It is right time to discuss the SharePoint 2010 migration. I would like to share best practice for before starting migration and migration steps for who are all working on MOSS 2007 to MOSS 2010 migration.
Before migration needs to verify your existing Moss 2007 form satisfies below criteria.
- You need to be sure the SharePoint 2007 farm is running SP2 or later (version 12.0.6421 == 2007 SP2) : Find more information about how to find and upgrade SharePoint 2007 version here
- Run the preupgradecheck command on the 2007 farm : Find more information about how to run preupgradecheck command here
You can find two different approaches to migrate your existing MOSS 2007 server.
- Installing the SharePoint 2010 on existing SharePoint 2007 installation(In-Place Upgrade): Here you are installing the SharePoint 2010 on existing server. Some disadvantage are it will upgrade the existing SharePoint 2007 server to SharePoint 2010 hence it is difficult to revert back until unless you have the backup.
- Installing the SharePoint 2010 on new server and migrate the content database to new server: In this approach you are installing the MOSS 2010 on new server. You can use the moss 2007 content database and migrate to new server as shown below,
- Find the content Database by opening the SharePoint 2007 form; Content database are listed under Central Admin->Application Management->Site Collection List
- Backup the content database, you could alternatively detach it, and copy it. Just doing a backup in SQL Server Management studio is easier.
- Restore content database to new server, Copy the BAK file to new server. Create an empty DB in Management Studio, restore from backup, you may need to change an option in the “options” tab of the restore dialog to get it to work. (Overwrite db).
- Create Web App on SharePoint 2010
- Remove Content Database from the new web app.
- stsadm -o addcontentdb -url http://yourwebapp:port -databasename yourcontentdb -databaseserver yoursqlserver
- Run ISSRESET from command prompt
- Deploy all the package and features used in SP 2007 server
Note: Now use STSADM to add restored DB to this web app c:\program files\common files\microsoft shared\web server extensions\14\bin on new server is where you can find the STSADM.
Run below command, which will upgrade the content db to 2010 or you can use central admin to update the content database.
Conclusion: Personally I prefer to use step2 (Migrating by copying content db to new server) and use the visual upgrade feature. Check plan visual upgrade for more information. Advantage is here your existing MOSS 2007 server won’t break because you are working on new SharePoint 2010 server. Disadvantage is you need reconfigure the entire portal including central admin.
- Sharepoint 2010 upgrades planning using pre upgrade check
- SharePoint 2010 and Powershell
- How to find the SharePoint 2007 version
- This solution contains no resources scoped for a Web application – Sharepoint WSP deployment exception
- Enabling IIS6 HTTP compression on SharePoint dynamic page
- Sharepoint 2013 Search components
- More about SharePoint Custom page and Application Page
- MOSS 2007 Best Practices
- Developer favorites SharePoint 2010 enhancements
- SharePoint Diagnostic Studio toolkit for administrator